The foundation to make the housekeeping process easy and efficient is the partioning of my hard disk(s).
While the primary partition holds the operating system and programme files, the secondary is dedicated to the data files. This way, the operating system may be re-installed at any time without data loss. Disk cleanup and defragmentation will run faster and more efficient. Finally, also the system performance may be improved. The SSD partition(s) on my hybrid ultrabook is left untouched.
Removing unused and temporary information from your system allows Windows to run faster and more efficiently:
- Perform a regular disk cleanup and defragmentation of the volumes
- Clean the startup entries after software installation and upgrades
- Perform a regular registry cleanup and defragmentation
- Perform a regular complete virus scan of your disks
- Perform a regular complete spyware scan of your system
- Defrag the pagefile
Check my related posts:
‘Tuning the Windows environment – Windows 7 optimization‘,
‘Microsoft Windows support pages‘
and Best of Breed section for a selection of freeware tools to help you with these tasks.
Check out the Windows Sysinternals website for latest tool developments.