Virtual PC 2.0 support
Can’t live without Windoowzzz applications? Virtual PC will turn your Mac into a bogus PC. Note that Connectix Virtual PC 2.1.1 and earlier versions are not compatible with Mac OS 8.6 nor with 9.0.
If you started with Virtual PC 1.0 Windows95 and bought a registered 2.0 upgrade, you may follow these steps to upgrade:
Part 1: Install Virtual PC 1.0
1. Disable your Anti-virus scanner software
2. Install Virtual PC 1.0 from the CD-ROM
select ‘Custom Install’ for a 260 Mb or 150 Mb Disk Image
3. First time run of Virtual PC
enter your Serial Number
note: at this point Virtual PC may hang your system; just reboot and continue
in Windows95 enter your Windows OEM Serial Number
4. Install Virtual PC 1.0.1 Update (VPC101U.sit)
5. Run the Hard Drive Expander Updater (HDEU.sit)
Part 2: Install Virtual PC 2.0 upgrades
6. Install Virtual PC 2.0 upgrade from the CD-ROM
enter your name (it may be scrambled)
7. Install the Virtual PC 2.1.1 Update (VPC211U_sit.hqx)
note: you may also skip these updates and proceed to step 10
8. Install the Virtual PC 2.1.2 Update (VPC212U_sit.hqx)
9. Install the Virtual PC 2.1.3 Update (VPC213U_sit.hqx)
The update files are no longer available on the Internet. I made a personal repository of the files.
Part 3: Install Virtual PC 2.0 Additions and customize your settings
10. Mount the ‘Extra’s 2.0’ PC Disk to install the Virtual PC 2.0 Additions
note: these additions are necessary to share folders and to install the correct display drivers!
11. Run the updater in Windows95 (Virtual PC must be loaded)
you can drag and drop the updater file (VPC20ADD.EXE) to the Windows desktop
note: if this does not work mount the Windows disk image and the Extra’s disk image then copy the updater file to the Windows disk image
12. Start Virtual PC again
change the regional settings (keyboard, language, etc.) if appropriate
have a Windows95 master copy CD-ROM available for the drivers!
This should make your system happy. If it does not, you handled it badly and the poor thing is taking revenge.